|By Shirley Dobson
“The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.” James 5:16
I’ll never forget the evening that Jim and I, exhausted after a long day, collapsed into bed without completing our usual practice of praying about many things, but especially for our children. We were almost asleep when I remembered.
“Jim,” I said, “we haven’t prayed for our kids yet today. Don’t you think we should talk to the Lord?”
It wasn’t easy, but we crawled out of bed, got on our knees, and offered yet another prayer for our children’s well‐being.
Later we learned that at the exact moment we were praying, a strange‐looking man sought by the police tried to get into the parked car where our daughter, Danae, and a girlfriend were sharing a fast‐food meal. By the grace of God, the door was locked, and Danae was able to start the car quickly and escape.
Never underestimate the power of prayer. When your petition is also for God’s will, it will bring you closer to the heavenly Father, who loves you unconditionally.
Just between us…
- Can you share a personal example of the power of prayer?
- As a couple, do we usually rely on prayer and God’s power, or do we usually try to solve our problems ourselves?
- Who among our friends and family needs prayer right now?
- How can I pray for you tonight?
Lord, thank You for the awesome power You make available to us through prayer. May all our requests honor You and help release Your best in our relationship. Amen.
- From Night Light For Couples, by Dr. James & Shirley Dobson
Copyright © 2000 by James Dobson, Inc. All rights reserved.