Near the end of his life, Bonhoeffer was reported to have said the following:
What bothers me incessantly is the question…who Christ really is for us today?
Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the son of Man is?” and they said, “some say John the Baptist, but others Elijah, and still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets?” he said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” Simon Peter answered, “You are the messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:13-16
“Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I tell you? Luke 6:46
Questions to Ponder
- What is the relationship between who Jesus was two thousand years ago and “who Christ really is for us today”?
- Is there a difference between asking who Christ is for us and who Christ is for me? Explain.
- How do we go about answering the question about “who Christ really is for us today”?
“Be still, and know that I am God!
I am exalted among the nations,
I am exalted in the earth.” Psalm 46:10
- If someone asked you who Christ really is for you today, how would you answer?
- You have finished a 40-Day Journey with Dietrich Bonhoeffer. How was the journey? What did you learn from Bonhoeffer? Has your understanding of what it means to be a Christian․to follow Jesus․changed? If so, how? What will be different in your life of faith for having taken this 40-day journey?
Pray for all those who will read this book, that their journey with Bonhoeffer might lead them closer to Christ.
Prayer for Today
Loving God, for where I have been and for where I am going on my journey with Jesus, I give you thanks and praise.