Elkanah [Ĕl’kănah]—god hath created or is jealous, possessing.
- A Levite of the family of Kohath and brother of Assir and Abiasaph (Exod. 6:24; 1 Chron. 6:23).
- The father of the prophet Samuel, and a descendant of No. 1 in the fifth generation (1 Sam. 1:1-23; 2:11, 20; 1 Chron. 6:27, 34).
- A descendant of Levi through Kohath (1 Chron. 6:25, 36).
- A descendant of Kohath (1 Chron. 6:26, 35). Perhaps the same person as No. 3.
- An ancestor of Netophathite villagers (1 Chron. 9:16).
- A Korhite who joined David at Ziklag (1 Chron. 12:6).
- A Levite, doorkeeper of the Ark (1 Chron. 15:23). Perhaps the same as No. 6.
- An officer in king Ahaz’household and second only to the king, who was slain when Pekah invaded Judah (2 Chron. 28:7).
Devotional content drawn from All the Men of the Bible by Herbert Lockyer. Used with permission.