Symptoms of Depression: No FearTuesday, November 17, 2020
Living Free Every Day®A ministry of LivingFree.org
“For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” 2 Timothy 1:7 NKJV
Thoughts for Today
Today we will add these to our growing list of depression symptoms.
- A sense of going crazy is a common symptom. During the valley of a depressive cycle, a person is likely to feel right on the edge of losing it.
- Many depressed people find themselves eating either too much or too little. Serious weight gain or loss adds further stress to the person’s devalued self-image.
- A high proportion of depressed people report having memory problems. Without a careful written daily schedule, they may find it difficult to be reliable in meeting routine responsibilities.
Consider this …
Is your life being controlled by a “spirit of fear”? That’s not God’s plan for you, and he wants to help you overcome it. He offers us instead a spirit of power and love and a sound mind. Power to overcome obstacles in our life. Love for God, for others, and for ourselves. The peace and joy and productiveness of a sound mind.
It all begins with faith. Trusting Jesus. First, to forgive our sins. And then to guide us and protect us throughout our walk on this earth. Not in our power, but his. Not in our love, but with his love flowing through us. Not with a mind-controlled by our own fears, but one committed to his plan and trusting him for his peace.
Father, deliver me from this spirit of fear. I pray for a spirit of power . . . and love . . . and a sound mind. Help me trust you more and lean on your strength, not my own.
In Jesus’ name …
These thoughts were drawn from … Understanding Depression: Overcoming Despair through Christ by Donald G. Miles, Ed.D. This study deals with depression, a condition common throughout the world, and is suggested for use in support groups and Christian counseling.
- Understanding what depression is and how it affects relationships
- Understanding the relationship between depression and spiritual warfare
- Ways to fight depression with scripture, prayer and mutual support
- Understanding the special prayer needs of depressed persons
- How to pray for healing and what to expect
- Serves as a powerful evangelistic tool by providing a way to minister to people’s felt needs and then lead them to Christ
Note: This curriculum was written especially for small groups, and we encourage people to use it that way. However, it can also be used effectively as a personal study for individuals or couples.
PO Box 22127 ~ Chattanooga, Tennessee 37421 ~ 423-899-4770
©Living Free 2020. Living Free is a registered trademark. Living Free Every Day® devotionals may be reproduced for personal use. When reproduced to share with others, please acknowledge the source as Living Free, Chattanooga, TN, www.LivingFree.org. Must have written permission to use in any format to be sold. Permission may be requested by sending an e-mail to info@LivingFree.org