DAILY DEVOTIONAL FROM PASTOR WESLEY January 12, 2021
A Pattern for Praying God’s Will
For this reason also, since the day we heard of it, we have not ceased to pray for you and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so that you will walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; strengthened with all power, according to His glorious might, for the attaining of all steadfastness and patience; joyously giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified us to share in the inheritance of the saints in Light. For He rescued us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. Colossians 1:9-14
Paul’s prayer for the church at Colossae is an example of what God desires to do in every believer’s life. Although the Lord wants to hear about our physical and material concerns, we should also bring our spiritual needs to Him, as the apostle does in Colossians 1:9-14. He prays for:
- The Knowledge of God’s Will. In order to understand what God desires for us, we need spiritual wisdom and insight, which come from His Spirit and Word (Colossians 1:9).
- A Walk Worthy of the Lord. This includes a desire to please God in every area of life, to bear lasting spiritual fruit in all we do, and to grow in our knowledge of Him through His Word (Colossians 1:10).
- Strength for Steadfastness and Patience. The Christian life is a marathon, not a sprint. We need God’s mighty power in order to persevere to the end (Colossians 1:11).
- Gratitude for Salvation. We should never forget that we have been rescued from sin and darkness and transferred to Christ’s kingdom (Colossians1:12-14).
There is nothing more effective than praying God’s Word back to Him, because our Father promises to hear and answer requests made according to His will (1 John 5:14-15).
January 12, 2021
Scripture: Philippians 4:6-7
What is my focus in this scripture? Meditate
Pray in your own way; Please pray for:
Your Big Issues – Which include:
- 3 family members and friends that you know need to be saved or come into closer relationship with God
- Pray for your own issues and needs in your life
- Pray that others will catch the wave of spiritual revival that is going on in this nation and in the Church.